Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chemo round 1

Chemotherapy, never thought that would be something I would be writing about! Life sure does throw us curve balls! I will be doing 6 rounds of Chemo each round will be 21 days apart. So a total of 18 weeks. (yes, I can add) I am sure this will be the longest 18 weeks of my life, some of the most interesting too I presume.

I had my first treatment yesterday, August 3rd. I will tell you something, the nurses that work in this field are among the best. I always thought the nurses that worked in L&D were the best (and they are wonderful, don't get me wrong) however, you have to be a special person to work day in and out watching people fight for their lives. The attitude these nurses have are inspiring! They made me feel comfortable ( as comfortable as one can be while having toxic meds flowing in your veins) safe, and answered each and every question as though it was the first time it was asked. Not to mention funny too! I was relaxed and ready!

My Chemo meds are called Carboplatin and Taxol, or CarboToxol as it was called yesterday! There are various side effects possible such as, fatigue, upset stomach, mouth ulcers, bruising, hair loss, just to name a few.  Who knows what I will experience. Some? Non? Time will tell.

Today is day one following my first treatment and I feel fine. I will say as of this afternoon I am tired, and I have had some stomach upset here and there which passes fast. Nothing I cannot deal with. I will see what tomorrow holds for me. Until then.....

No comments:

Post a Comment